Phoenix Climate March

Stormy Light, Managing Editor

Colorful flags, flowers, and signs parade down the streets of the Capitol building in Phoenix with protesters spreading awareness about protecting the environment and standing up against Trump’s environmental agenda. Guest speakers from the Sierra Club, environmental organizations, college students and activists speak about the seriousness of climate change and what courses of action need to be taken in order to protect the environment. Speakers advocate for young individuals to speak up about protecting their planet in the government, state, and individual levels.

First, a moving spiritual prayer is performed about helping each individual respect the Earth’s rich diversity and rights of each species that thrive in it. At roughly 10:00 a.m. the march begins with a group of Native Americans, clothed in multi-colored fabrics and beads drumming to a thundering beat and waving flags. Other nature-focused organizations, non-profits, and environmental parties strided hand in hand with banners, posters, and vivid ribbons. Chanting “Climate deniers out, climate leaders in” families, couples, and young children marched around the building before creating a large circle on the Capitol lawn. Then a group of Native American activists created a circle dance, linking arms and adding on people as the circle grew larger. It was amazing to see such a supportive community of people of all ages, races and genders come together in unison; it was a truly empowering feeling.

Tatum Jennings (9) states her opinion about the March saying, “I think it is great especially because it is educating people about protecting the environment.”

Clarissa Yosick (9) says, “It is very important to protect the planet and advocate for environmental change.”

The remainder of the day included interacting with other protesters and traveling to different booths to talk to volunteers about science, nature, and wildlife. In the heat of the afternoon, conversations bounced off one another and the climate march proved to be  successful in bringing communities of scientists, students, and families together under a common goal.