• The homecoming football game is on Sept. 15th at 7:30

• Homecoming Carnival is September 15th from 4:30-6:30 on the varsity practice field before the game.

• Homecoming is September 16th from 8-11 PM! Tickets are $18 from Sept 5-8, $20 from Sept 11-15, and $25 at the door.

New Car in Testing Is Made of Plants?!?!

Sophie Macko

In the Netherlands, students from Eindhoven University of Technology have created a revolutionary car that may help create a cleaner environment. The students have named the car Lina and revealed it on May 17 of this year. Lina, unbelievably, is made of sugar beets and flax! But it isn’t crazy, it’s ingenious! This design allows the car to easier be decomposed, unlike most other cars, which take years to break down. For the car to have a stiffer structure, the design also includes a honeycomb panel in between two sheets of flax. Although Lina does have some parts that have to be metal, it takes much less resources to manufacture than cars made entirely of metal. It is also better for the environment because its three motors run on two electrical batteries instead of gasoline.

Although, there are some downsides to the car. One of these downsides are that Lina is still in crash testing because, according to Discover, the material it is made of will break when hit instead of bend like metal. Additionally, the car can only go at a maximum speed of about sixty miles per hour. Tahlia Williams (11) said that it needs to be “tested out more” and have “stronger parts.” Zach Alozo (12) agreed that innovations should occur for Lina because it “needs to go faster.” Sky News said that ‘according to researchers’ a lot of energy (rather than resources) will be put into manufacturing it. This energy may result in an increase in price of the car, but the exact value of Lina is still unknown since it is not yet for sale. Jasmine Muraweh (9) said “it will be good in the long run but I know that some people may not be able to afford it.” Most people, including Jasmine, said that they would buy this car. “[It is] better for the environment,” she explained, and said that it would “be good to counterbalance” pollution.

Although this car seems to need changes and advances in some areas of function, Lina is step in the right direction of a cleaner environment.