Chandler Police Cadets

Adriana Urena

The Chandler Police Cadets are a group of young adults from ages 14-20. The Cadets are involved with the Chandler Police Department and help with city wide events. The Cadets go through an interview with the Chandler Police Cadet Advisor Officer John Somerville in order to be allowed to be a Chandler Police Cadet. Officer John Somerville interviews the interviewee as well as getting to know them , and doing a background check to see if the candidate is eligible to become a Cadet.

Being a Cadet means you are courteous, respectful, and responsible. As a Chandler police Cadet there are rules to follow, in which consist of going to city events and showing up to meetings every Monday from 6:30pm through 9:00pm. During these meetings they learn Law enforcement taught by other Officers. They gain experience and knowledge on how to act upon High Risk Traffic Stops, Negotiations,building searches, and many more. To be a Cadet is help to pursue your career in Law Enforcement, however it teaches life lessons, and how to be a modeled citizen, you don’t have to be in the Law Enforcement field.

The Cadets also go through different stages they begin as a Recruit in which they gradually become a Probationary Cadet with the completion of the basic training in December and 20 hours of community service. Then later in June they have the option of going to an Academy similar to the police Academy and they train there, at the end of the Academy they have a graduation in which they receive their badges, then they become a Full Cadet. After this promotion they are eligible to promote to higher ranking positions like Sergeant, Corporal, Quartermaster, Lieutenant, or the highest rank the Commander.  

Within a month the Chandler Police Cadets go to city events and help with traffic and/or security. Recently on December 2nd the Chandler Police Cadets assisted with the Parade of lights and Annual Tree Lighting. In this event the Cadets proudly wear their class B uniform and a traffic vest to make sure civilians can recognize them in case of emergencies. They walked around the parade attending to the parents and children who needed assistance, for example with ATL’s which indicates there is someone that needs to be found.

The Chandler Police Cadets take on real life scenarios that Officers would experience, and have the opportunity to be guided correctly on the resolution by the Chandler Police. They voluntarily join this program not for the glory but to service their city. Thank you for all you do Chandler police Cadets!