How the Supreme Court’s Decision on the “Gay Wedding Cake” Can Impact Arizona

Breanna Zarate

On Tuesday, the Supreme Court heard a case from Colorado that dealt with a local bakery refusing to make a wedding cake for a gay couple. The incident sparked national debate in early 2016. Many see that refusing to make a cake was a form of discrimination and violated a Colorado law that prohibits discrimination based on sexual orientation. This same sort of law is present in Arizona cities as well such as Phoenix, Flagstaff and Tucson. Yet Arizona does not have a statewide law that outlaws  discrimination based off of sexual orientation. However, others see the baker in the right, stating that he could not serve the couple because it would’ve been a violation of his religion. Dan Nabaty (11) says, “It’s a hard decision to make because I can see both sides of the argument.”

The decision on this court case could change the line between discrimination and religious freedom for all of Arizona.  If the Supreme Court decides that the cake designer was not in violation of Colorado discriminator law, then this can end any anti-discriminatory laws that protect LGBTQ+ members. Many have rallied in Washington D.C to support either the couple or the baker. Xavier Zarate (12) says, “I think they should rule in favor of the couple because it was discrimination.” Whereas Laith Alhaig (11) says, “I don’t really think it is discrimination. He (the baker) was in his rights to not serve them.”