Supersonic Planes Once More In Development

Sophie Macko

Boom Technologies (originating from Denver in the United States) is the airliner that aims to make these supersonic planes and have them available in mass in about five years. Ideally, these planes will hold 45-50 people in business class and will travel 1,450 miles per hour (two times the speed of light). Boom claims that the price of flight in one of its supersonic planes will cost about the cost of a business class plane ticket. One of these planes called the XB-1 is planned to be out by the end of 2018. Boom has claimed that its goals in creating these supersonic planes is making long-distance travel quicker.

Although, this is not the first time that supersonic planes have been developed. In the past, there were two supersonic passenger aircrafts: Airliners and Concord. According to Boom, “Supersonic flight has existed for 70 years, but until now, it hasn’t been efficient enough for routine travel. Boom’s airliner enables fares 75% lower than Concorde, about the same price as today’s business class tickets. This advance in efficiency is made possible by a breakthrough aerodynamic design, state-of-the-art engines, and advanced composites.” Concorde could go twice the speed of sound and travel across the Atlantic in three and a half hours but was retired in 2003 because it was too expensive and there was a devastating crash with a Concorde plane that killed 113 people in 2000.

With help of its supporters, Boom has $51 million available to create this technology. Some of these supporters include Japanese Airlines , of whom gave $10 million, and Virgin Atlantic Airways. They have also, along with three other airlines, already bought planes from Boom in order to reserve their seat in what may be a revolution for flying. “Through this partnership, we hope to contribute to the future of supersonic travel with the intent of providing more ‘time’ to our valued passengers while emphasizing flight safety,” said the president of Japan Airlines, Yoshiharu Ueki. Blake School, the founder and CEO of Boom, said that “this is about signaling to the broader ecosystem that this is something that there’s real airline customer interest in.” Although this quantity of money is enormous, it will not be enough to fulfill all of Boom’s plans so their prototypes will most likely have to convince and inspire more investors and buyers in order to keep continuing their projects.

Hopefully, if all goes well, people will be able to see these supersonic planes created by Boom in the near future.