• WELCOME BACK HUSKIES!!

The State of the Union

Cora Baron

President Trump delivered his first State of the Union address last Tuesday, January 30th. Trump was joined on the podium with The Speaker of the House, Paul Ryan, and Vice President Mike Pence. He discussed his administration’s view of the state of the nation and plans for future legislation. This address fulfills the requirements in Article II, Section 3 of the U.S. Constitution which the President must periodically “give to the congress Information of the State of the Union, and recommend to their Consideration such measures as he shall judge necessary and expedient.” On Capitol Hill, members of the House of Representatives and the Senate gather together in the House chamber, along with over 40 million television viewers.

Several Hamilton students watched the broadcast from their TVs, cell phones, and tablets. Vani Sanganeria (11) tuned in for the annual address because she was, “interested in his upcoming politics.” For some young adults, this is the first time they watched. Melinda Chang (11) notes that, “This was not the first time I watched, but I don’t remember them as much.” Seniors participate in government and economics courses as they will be able to vote by the next presidential elections. Nency Bhensdadia (11) says, “Being an educated young person is important, especially now,” and she wants to be “an informed voter.” The America of tomorrow is impacted by the young people of today making a difference.

Following the air of Trump’s address, Joe Kennedy III, the U.S. Representative for Massachusetts’ 4th congressional district since 2013, spoke on behalf of the Democratic Party. This rebuttal offer suggestions of how to improve America that differ from the president’s views. Taylor Garcia (11) tuned in to watch his speech. “I enjoyed the sophistication of his speech.” In case students did not catch the speech live, it can be found in both video and transcript online. It is important to understand the intentions of the government.