• WELCOME BACK HUSKIES!!

North Korea Will Parade Missiles Before Olympics

Sophie Macko

The Olympics is finally here and coming on February 9th and through the 25th. But what makes this year’s Olympics particularly exciting is the unity that it may bring for North and South Korea have been talking about the Olympics for some time now. Although, North Korea plans to parade its missiles the day before the Olympics starts on the 8th. The Rodong Sinmun newspaper in North Korea claim that the reason for this is to celebrate the 70th anniversary of the founding of North Korea’s military and said that, “It is a custom and very basic common sense that any country in the world takes the founding anniversary of its military very seriously and celebrates it.” The army that formed on February 8th is known as the Hermit Kingdom’s army but the celebration of it usually takes place on April the 25th because of the cold weather that blows through North Korea. Because the announcement from North Korea that the date for this event would change to February 8th followed the State of the Union speech, speculations pose that it may be a response to Trump’s speech that he gave on January 30th. This may be because of the personal accounts that were brought forth in the speech that recounted the tragedies that many people faced as a result of the Kim Regime.North Korea has already also cancelled a cultural performance because of previous comments from South Korea’s news outlets. South Korea’s news has been banned from covering this missile parade. Mason Messenger (10) said, “It could be a legitimate celebration but it could be an intimidation factor to put a message out that they are powerful and not to mess with them.”

If it is the case that North Korea is doing this in response to the U.S.’s State of the Union address, than this parade’s purpose is to scare the U.S. with its military capabilities, which is becoming increasingly more effective. Hwasong-15 missiles, which are intercontinental, will be used in the parade. Weapons like these could greatly affect the U.S. especially since the missile interceptor in the test in Hawaii would have failed to protect the U.S. if a bomb like the Hwasong-15 was headed our way. Danielle Miner (10) said that the Olympics will “probably worsen tensions because they are showing off missiles,” while Sajini Patel (10) said “Hopefully the tensions will be eased but you never know.”

Hopefully bonds will be created between the U.S. and North Korea instead of destroyed at this year’s Olympics; only time will tell.