International Women’s Day

Adriana Urena

On Thursday, March 8th, a date back in history, International Women’s Day was created. Beginning in 1913 during World War I, in Russia, women protested as a contribution to the peace movement, against the war, and to demonstrate their solidarity with other activities at the time. Later in 1917 they protested again and went on strike for the “Bread and Peace” which is the cry of the Russian workers and Russian peasants were frustrated with the failed system and the struggles of war. Then women were finally given the right to vote. Ever since, there’s been celebrations for this international event.

International Women’s Day is celebrated world wide which simply celebrates the achievements that women is history accomplished. The reason for these strikes were meant to change the view on women. Today these problems still occur for example the higher wages or pay differentiate between men and women. Melanie Gray(12) says that, “Women should be equally valued by others just as much as men should”, this is the response given by just about every women in the strike.

Women should proudly celebrate that they are women today in the world , so many accomplishments have been from women, and new records are also being held by women, which changes the view on what labels are being put on women. Shelby Colson(12) says that, “After years of hard work and dedication from inspirational women working for our equality, we finally can make an impact in the world, never been more proud to be a woman”. Women today are inspiring many young girls to conquer the obstacles society places in front of them, follow their dreams, and to be proud of who they are. Celebrate International Women’s Day on March 8th to show your appreciation for women’s accomplishments.