Kanye West’s Controversial Statements

Carly Osorio

Kanye West, when interviews by TMZ on Tuesday May 1st, stated to the newsroom staff that he genuinely admires President Donald Trump and that he believes slavery “sounds like a choice.” His controversial statements were immediately completely shut down by writer Van Lathan, who debunked his theory. Lathan was not the only one to disagree with Kanye, in fact, thousands of fans and other celebrities have been seen dissing Kanye and even unfollowing him on social media. His comment about slavery has caused him to lose thousands of fans and admiration from other popular rappers. One student, Abraham Richardson (11), stated that “his opinions were ignorance and shows his incompetence to understand the severity of this countries past with slavery.” Although Kanye West did try to explain his remarks and apologize, he is still receiving hate on the media.

Students have been following up with the scandal and have committed themselves, as it is one of the hottest topics being discussed on Twitter at the moment. Student Valeria Galindo (12), said “it shows that there is a huge problem in the education system. Not only that, but it reflects the way people are willing to deny the past in order to try to understand the present.” Because Kanye expressed his love for Donald Trump, many fans feel as though they cannot view him in the same light any longer. Another student, Jim Chowdhury (10), added his“The media has changed Kanye, and not for the better. He is blindsided by fame. I miss the old Kanye, straight from the go Kanye, set on his goals Kanye. His audience is mainly millennials, who are known to be a majority of liberals. Thus, there are a minority of Trump supporters in this group. However, others argue that his political views should not be a reason to lose respect for him or his music.

Donald Trump is most definitely one of these people, he has even used some of Kanye’s quotes and used them in his speeches during press conferences.

Overall, Kanye’s statements may have cost him a couple million dollars in his career. His new albums are predicted to not sell as well. However, no one knows for sure. Kanye may make a big comeback in the near future. Fans and haters will both just have to wait and see.