• HAVE A GREAT BREAK HUSKIES!

• FALL BREAK STARTS NEXT WEEK (OCTOBER 17TH FIRST DAY BACK)

Hurricane Florence 2018

Connor Manning

The first major hurricane in the Atlantic this year made landfall in the Carolinas last Thursday night, with major damage in Maryland and Virginia as well. Hurricane Florence is currently a Tropical storm with wind speeds reaching 105 miles per hour. It is the First major hurricane to hit North Carolina since 1999. South Carolina hadn’t seen one since Joaquin in 2015. Even though it’s only a Tropical Storm, major flooding has destroyed the coastline and 18 people have died as a result. The national Guard and FEMA have done everything they possibly can to rescue people that were hit. Both governors declared a state of emergency and have called for evacuations in many of the coastlines and into mainland, along with many sports events being postponed or cancelled as well.

Cole Lind (12), commented on the hurricane: “I don’t really know about hurricanes, but from what I’ve seen on the news and Snapchat, it looks really bad.” Many news outlets have made this hurricane one of the top stories for about a week now.

Another student at Hamilton, Blake Shiverdecker (10), had something to say about Florence: “You know I actually have been reading up on this story, and I have to say, this Hurricane looks deadly.” Meteorologists expect some of the most costly damage in North and South Carolina history, around 20 billion dollars worth.

Kaiden Willa (9), told the Paw Print his thoughts on the storm: “I live in Arizona, so I don’t have to worry about this, but I feel really bad for the people whose homes are gonna get destroyed, and for the people that have to wait out the storm at home.” Many of the families who couldn’t afford to leave their businesses and properties must wait out this deadly storm.

Florence has become a tropical depression as of right now, which means that it is sustaining winds of 35-45 mph. The storm expected to dissipate within the coming days, although the damage has been done. The East coast is not out of the clear yet, as two more hurricanes, Isaac and Helene, are in the Atlantic and could make landfall in the coming weeks.