• WELCOME BACK HUSKIES!!

Adopt Don’t Shop

Alexis Brady

The “Adopt Don’t Shop” Campaign has been around for years, promoting the adoption of rescue pets from animal shelters. The campaign was started by an organization based in Los Angeles called “Last Chance For Animals”founded by Chris DeRose in 1984. “Last Chance For Animals” is  non profit organization that fights for animal rights by exposing the exploitation of animals.

The campaign was started in a effort to help the overflow of animal shelters and to take away business from pet shops and puppy mills that do not provide acceptable living conditions for the dogs. The catchy slogan has caught on like wildfire, with thousands of Americans nationwide choosing to adopt their furry friend rather than buy one.  The campaign has brought to light several benefits to adopting a dog, and as a result, people have chosen to listen. Sydney Case (11) adopted her dog Maggie, two years ago at a local animal shelter and was very happy with her decision. Sydney says, “I am proud to be apart of a movement that benefits the quality of lives for animals.” Sydney is one of thousands who have chosen to adopt- not shop, a new member into their family. And while many support the movement that takes away business from puppy mills, there is still a lot of overcrowding in animal shelters.

With overcrowding comes a decline in the quality of living conditions for the animals that take refuge there, and there are simply not enough resources to ensure that every animal is healthy and happy. This is why so many spread awareness about the importance of adopting from local animal shelters near you. Tiffany Ticlo (11) adopted her two dogs,Olivia and Max, from  the Maricopa Animal Care and Control animal shelter, located in Mesa. Tiffany says, “It was great seeing families that are contributing to an important cause within my own community.” Maricopa animal shelters take in an average of 100 animals a day, and have plenty of pets to choose from. Adoptions are available to take place any day of the week during allotted times.

The “Adopt Don’t Shop” campaign will continue to spread awareness to people everywhere about the importance of adopting from animal shelters. Sydney Jardina (11) says, “I always try to spread awareness about this movement to people looking to get a new pet.” This is a very important part of this campaign, as news through word of mouth is what is most effective. So, remember to spread the word: Adopt, Don’t Shop!