Lakers beat the Hawks 107-106

Lakers beat the Hawks 107-106

Adam Worthy

On Saturday, the Lakers came into this game with a 6-6 record coming off an impressive 101-86 victory over the Kings. The Lakers were one of the worst teams defensively and needed depth at the center position. So with that being the Achilles Heel to the team, they went out and signed Tyson Chandler who is a 38 year old veteran and his contract was bought out by the Suns. Tyson provides a defensive mindset and is a great defender and rebounder which the Lakers needed desperately. Chandler was one of the best free agent acquisitions the team could make because he had two clutch offensive rebounds and a defensive rebound to help the Lakers escape one from the Timberwolves.

The Lakers were huge favorites coming into this one while the Hawks were sitting at a 3-9 record and have a bright spot on their team in Trae Young but, the team is still trying to find it’s identity and is currently going through a rebuilding stage.The Lakers led by as many as 15 points but Trae Young and the Hawks led a comeback and ended up taking the lead with four minutes left to play. The Lakers must improve on holding on to leads if they want to be a major threat in the Western Conference. Cameron Khan (11) said “As a Lakers fan us losing leads to teams we should beat is getting ridiculous if we want to be a real player in the West we need to start winning now.” A few of their losses this season has come from blowing huge leads and the team not being able to work in a collective effort and close out games. After being down by 4 the Lakers were able to go on a mini run and tie the game with 20 seconds left.

The Lakers then made a key stop on defense and got the ball back with 10 seconds remaining. LeBron James decided to take the game into his own hands and show the Lakers what they got him for. He drove to the basket with three Hawks defenders draped all over him and went to the foul line. LeBron and free throws in late game situations don’t pan out well but he was hoping that it would all change that night. Since the start of last season LeBron is 48% from the free throw line in the final minute of a one-possession game, worst in the league among players with 10 attempts or higher. So you would think LeBron missed both right? In fact he did! Jason Coleman (10) said “ I can’t put LeBron James in the goat conversation anymore because you could always count on Michael Jordan to make free throws in the clutch.” Luckily Kyle Kuzma got the rebound he went up for a shot missed it and LeBron got a put back dunk to put the Lakers up one! Then with five seconds remaining Tyson Chandler shined. Trae Young made a move on Brandon Ingram and drove to the basket. He put up a floater hoping it would go in and Tyson Chandler got a fingertip on the ball which made it a block! Hunter Arthur (12) said “ I love the Tyson Chandler pickup because he brings a defensive tough mind that makes other people on our team want to play defense”. That block sealed the deal and the Lakers won 107-106 and improved to 7-6 on the season!