New Arizona Senator

New Arizona Senator

Alexis Brady

The results of the senate race in Arizona comes six days after election day, and Kyrsten Sinema came out on top. This win is monumental in Arizona; with her win, Sinema will become the first woman senator in Arizona. Along with that, she is also the first democrat in Arizona to hold a seat in the senate in nearly 25 years.

Shreya Balasubramanian (11) said, “Having a woman senator for the first time in Arizona history is pretty cool considering Arizona has been established for over 100 years.” Not only is Sinema making history by being the first woman senator in Arizona, but she is also the first openly bisexual member of the U.S Senate. Sinema’s win came after Republican opponent, Martha McSally conceded in the race. Martha McSally took to Facebook to officially concede from the election by congratulating her opponent Sinema on becoming Arizona’s first woman senator. Many have credited McSally for conceding as Kyrsten Sinema continued to take the lead in the polls. However, some are still hopeful that McSall will be appointed as Senator as early as 2019, taking Jon Kyl’s place.

The race was too close to call on election day, leaving all the remaining ballots to be counted in the days following. Arizona residents and the rest of the nation watched in anticipation as the votes were counted and updated. Sydney Jardina (11) said, “It was kind of  disappointing having to wait so long for the results of the election, but I understand why it takes so long.” There was controversy regarding the integrity of the election, with President Trump calling for a new election all together. Trump and other republicans were concerned as to why the results were taking so long to count, accusing Maricopa County of “electoral correction.” However, elected officials in Maricopa County say that two thirds of the ballots are mailed in, and it takes time to count every vote, and that is the reason the results didn’t come on election day. Ananya Nigam (11) said “I wish the results came the same day, because the delay was frustrating, but I’m glad Sinema was chosen.” Regardless, Arizona has a new Democratic Senator that promised the be the voice for all Arizonans, regardless of one’s political party. Democrats and Republicans alike wish for Sinema’s success as she represents Arizona in the U.S Senate.