Mexico’s New President

Max Pulido

On December 1st, Mexico’s newly elected president, Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador, took office after a landslide win. This was Obradors third time running for the office of presidency, once in 2006 and again in 2012, but this was his first win. Obrador won an outstanding 31 out of 32 states in Mexico. A main promise made by Obrador and his administration is the tackling of corruption and violence. But an obstacle that he must overcome is the migration of immigrants from South and Central America that are currently stationed along Mexico’s side of the border in Tijuana. Obrador has wasted no time addressing this problem as he has already signed a development deal with El Salvador, Guatemala and Honduras. The deal is meant to address structural issues and create jobs in the areas that have the greatest outflow of migration. Obrador has had a reputation for being a strong leftist, organizing grassroot campaigns to oppose corporate suppressors. His type of views are clearly on the other side of the aisle across from United States President Trump, who he has yet to officially meet with.

Since Mexico is a neighboring country to the U.S., what occurs there can have a ripple effect on the U.S. and it’s citizens. Hamilton student Rosaura Vasquez (10) said, “I think it’s pretty important to know what’s going on the a country that the U.S. is close to and involved with. And I think Obrador is going to be a new voice to what’s going on right now with the caravans and immigration from South America.” Julian Sanchez (10), who’s parents are from Mexico, said, “There’s been a few bad presidents who promise all of these things but never actually do them. But Obrador sounds confident enough to make good on his promises.” The citizens of both Mexico and the U.S. are hopeful of Obrador and his plans.

Obrador will be in office for six years until the end of his term. The citizens of Mexico will watch carefully as Obrador will try to fulfill on his many, almost impossible promises. As the caravan crisis and drug epidemic continues, it will only make Obradors job harder but the necessity for change will grow as well.