New Year, New You?

New Year, New You?

Alexis Brady

The new year is upon us, and January is now in full swing! With the new year, comes expectations about what the year will bring and what will change in ones lives. Goals are set, promises are made and most have a new found outlook on life. Sydney Jardina (11) shares that, “I just want to try a lot of new things this year and take advantage of every opportunity that comes my way.” It is around this time that gyms see an increase in new memberships and people choose healthier options at the grocery store rather than opting for the frozen pizza and  cookies. With the goal in mind to be healthier and maybe lose weight, people are motivated to keep their new year’s resolutions.

It seems as if everyone has some kind of new year’s resolutions, and it’s all anyone talks about all throughout the month of January. However, how long do people actually keep up for their new goals? Does everybody just suddenly forget about their resolutions after January comes to a close? Jasmine Sun (11) reflected that, “Even though the majority of  resolutions aren’t met, the foundation of resolutions help guide us to reflect on ourselves and guide us through our busy live.” The new year is a definitely a good time to reflect on the past year and what goals to focus on for the future. Charlene Bernabe (11) suggested that New Year’s resolutions are best kept when “they’re reasonable and and consistent. Changes in life don’t come overnight, so you have to be 100% committed.” So, as long as one’s motivation is kept strong through the first month, habits will form and a new life style will be under way!

However, not all resolutions have to be big and life changing. Some can be a as small as trying to drink more water, or do one act of kindness a day. Anything is possible with the right motivation and consistency, even keeping New Year’s resolutions. It may be difficult and at times seem pointless, keeping promises and achieving goals can bring the right satisfaction to bring into 2019.