Texting and Driving: It’s Worth The Wait

Adison Johnson

Driving. It has been around for years, a great form of transportation. Texting. Also been around for years and has provided a way for communication all around the world. Unlike a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, driving and texting does not go with each other. They do not complement each other. When driving, all focus has to be on the road- watching for people, other cars, etc. Texting someone, no matter who, never should take part of that focus. How would you feel knowing your simple “on my way!” ended a stranger’s life. Recently men apart of the police force in Maricopa have had to mourn the loss of one of their own. Simply because a man felt the need to text during traffic.

Many states and cities have made it illegal to be texting and driving. Scottsdale being one of them. But why just cities, why can’t whole states create the law. Danielle Miner (11) said “I do not know if people would actually follow the law. Maybe over time it would help the change for the better but you never know.” People are stubborn and believe ‘oh i’ll be quick’ is enough to save them from a crash or a ticket.

Emily Cramer (11) has only had her licence for 7 months and firmly does not touch her phone in her car. “I make sure it is in my cup holder and do not mess with it.” These simple action could have a bigger reaction. Putting your phone somewhere you will not be tempted to touch it can help significantly in the long run.

Two unlike things do not attract. One cannot push them together. Texting and Driving was never alike, never compatible movements. More than 1.6 million car crashes are the result of someone texting while driving. 1 in 4 every year result in severe injury, possibly death. (edgarsnyder.com) These crashes are a serious thing; students, teachers, anyone who drives needs to take caution. Officer (name) said “something about his biggest hope for the future w technology and driving.” Think next time you are in a car and your phone buzzes, is it worth another person’s life responding back to the “hey!” ? Drive smart, it could save a life.

https://www.azfamily.com/news/driver-who-hit-killed-salt-river-officer-while-allegedly-texting/article_dc367dc0-13bf-11e9-9afd-2f43eb6a5135.html