Empire Star Jussie Smollett Alleged Attack

Alexis Brady and Jay Jay Quintana

On January 29th Empire star, Jussie Smollett, reported being attacked near his apartment in Chicago by two men at two thirty in the morning. The report included details about how the two men allegedly threw a chemical substance on him, tied a noose around his neck and yelled homophobic and racial slurs at him. Officials said that Smollett initially wasn’t going to report the attack, but later felt that it was the right thing to do.

When the news about the attack spread, thousands on social media expressed their disbelief and disgust with what happened. Sydney Jardina (11) expressed, “I couldn’t believe it when I read the headline, it shocked me to see how someone could hurt someone like that.” Many shared a similar opinion, with fans and celebrities quickly running to support Smollett and let him know they wish him well. However, as the investigation goes on, speculation about the legitimacy of the attack arose.

The two men suspected of the alleged attack, Ola and Abel Osundairo, were arrested and questioned by the police on February 15th after reports of the attack being a hoax were being reported. Initially, the Chicago Police Department released a statement saying that they had no evidence to support the allegations that the attack was orchestrated. However, the two suspects were later released after telling the police that they were paid by Jussie Smollett to attack him and it was fake. The Chicago Police Department released another statement explaining this information had “changed the trajectory of the investigation.” Sydney Case (11) shared, “I don’t understand why someone would fake a hate crime. If it is fake, it undermines the severity of real hate crimes.” Basically saying that if a hate crime were to be faked, the repercussions of it would result in people not taking real hate crimes as seriously as they should. It essentially makes people question every report of hate crime committed, questioning its legitimacy and significance.

Jussie Smollett has since denied all the claims that the attack was staged, saying in a statement that he still believes justice will be served. Smollet also reports that he knows both the suspects involved in the attack, one being his personal trainer and the other was once an extra on the set of Empire. Tiffany Ticlo (11) says, “It would be really  unfortunate if the allegations turn out to be false. If he did fake the attack, he should be held fully responsible and face the consequences.” With reports of the accident being faked, people have also brought up what would happen to Smollet if the allegations weren’t true. According to recent reports, false allegations is a felony and Smollett could receive up to three years in prison along with a fine. However, the Chicago Police department has not yet confirmed whether or not the attack was faked, but continues to treat Smollett as a victim.