College Admission Scandal

College Admission Scandal

Alexis Brady

At the beginning of March, a huge scandal broke that took over media sites for weeks. It came out that wealthy parents were bribing coaches of elite colleges in order to get their children admitted to those schools. Those involved in the scandal are Fuller House actress Lori Loughlin, her husband Mossimo Giannulli, and Desperate Housewives actress, Felicity Huffman. Since the scandal broke, both actresses have been indicted and could face possible jail time for their part in the scam. However, Loughlin and Huffman aren’t the only ones under fire.  Not only were parents bribing college coaches, but they were also bribing test proctors for extra time during the SAT as well as changing answers after the testing period was over. As expected parents and students alike were outraged at this revelation.

To make matters worse, Lori Loughlin’s daughter, Olivia Jade, is also under scrutiny for her party girl reputation. Olivia Jade has made a name for herself on social media with over one million subscribers on YouTube. Amid the scandal, old videos have resurfaced of Olivia saying she “didn’t really care about school” and “was just here for the football games and parties.” Fans of hers have expressed their disgust for the influencers comments saying that she didn’t deserve her spot at USC. Sydney Jardina (11) expressed, “Olivia has said before that she doesn’t make college a priority, and now that this scandal came out, it just confirms my belief that she doesn’t deserve to be at USC.” Many have shared the same opinion, criticizing both Olivia and her older sister, Isabella, for their parents role in the scandal.

There has been controversy over if the kids should be punished for their parents role in the scam, some saying that they have to be accountable for what happened while others believe that they are innocent. Tiffany Ticlo (11)  “if the students were aware of their parents actions, then they should face the consequences. They were old enough to know what was going on and to stand up to their parents, but they did not take action and just let it happen.” Students that attended these elite college that under investigation have also spoken out against those involved, particularly Olivia Jade. Many feel that Olivia should be kicked out of the university, saying that she didn’t deserve to be there in the first place.

Anger and disgust have been the common reaction to the scandal thus far, with students expressing their frustration over wealthy students stealing undeserved spots in elite colleges. Jasmine Sun (11) shared, “I believe jail time became necessary when helping their children denied the opportunities to a bunch of other students who more or less worked harder and are more deserving of those spots in elite colleges. This punishment would set a necessary precedent and warning.” It is not known if those involved will face jail time, but as of now it is likely that they will receive more than a slap on the wrist like most expect. Only time will tell how things play out and what repercussions await for those who cheated to get their kids into elite colleges.