World Autism Awareness Day

World Autism Awareness Day

Isabella Klemeneic

World Autism Awareness Day was April 2 and landmarks, homes, and communities around the world united together, lighting up in blue in recognition of all the children and adults living with autism. Landmarks such as the Empire State Building and the White House were lit up in blue for the day. The month of April brings awareness and acceptance, celebrating the unique and special cause as Autism Awareness Month.

On average 1 in 59 people have autism, so even if you are unaware, most likely there is someone in your class that has it, and students at Hamilton can support them. Even though autism is very prevalent in the world, a lot of students at Hamilton don’t know the exact definition of what it is. Puja Rastogi(10) said “I have an idea what it is ,but I don’t know exactly what is it”. With how common autism is, people don’t know how to accept it since they don’t know much about it. Autism is comprised of many different disorders that involve trouble with speech, communication and interactions. Students can help today by making students with autism feel included like anyone else, and accept their differences.

Students at Hamilton with autism are ones to remember being kind-hearted and friendly once their personalities come out. Fiona Krieger(11) works in the daycare and said “I’ve worked with kids with autism and they are so cute and have huge hearts, you just have to learn about them and feel comfortable helping”. Give a helping hand and volunteer time to helping kids or students with autism. Nathaniel Ritter-Felix(12) explained “I have family members and a friends with autism and they are no different than anyone else,you just have to be understanding and supportive”. 

Journalism and English 10 teacher, Mrs. Headman, has a 7-year old son that was diagnosed with autism at an early age. “We noticed that as a baby he wasn’t making eye contact with anyone and he wasn’t interested in toys. He was diagnosed with autism at age 2 at the Melmed Center and received early intervention through the Arizona Early Intervention Program. Early intervention is so important. My son is now thriving in a general education 1st grade classroom and still receives speech and social skills therapy, but he acts like any other 7-year old”.

Students at Hamilton can help in many ways to spread awareness or Autism this whole month.Accepting each other and uniting as a school can help families and students around the world.