The Grammy’s: Best & Worst Fashion

Mariana Pacheco , General Staff

This year’s 59th Annual Grammy Awards ceremony was held on February, 17 2017. The CBS network broadcast the show live from the Staples Center in Los Angeles. While many were eager to see the nominees and the many awards given throughout the show. Others were more excited to peep at the fashion the celebrities were actually wearing. Including from the most famous Beyonce, Adele, Drake, Lady Gaga, Rihanna, Twenty One Pilots, Chance the Rapper ect. Obviously, some well dressed than others, most were ranked from the best to the worst dressed.

Most celebrities that were seen as the “best” ,and who most stood out from the red carpet were for example, Jennifer Lopez who wore an elegant light purple dress by Ralph & Russo. Demi Lovato who really showed her figure in a beige fish-net like dress by Julien Macdonald. Carrie Underwood dazzled in a sparkly ruby red lace dress by Zuhair Murad. The magnificent Adele wore an olive green dress by Givenchy, who also later that night won all five awards for her best music productions throughout the year. And lastly the best Beyonce, who wore a bedazzled dress with an embroidered portrait of none other than the Queen Bee herself. Designer Peter Dundas revealed that the dress was inspired by the work of Gustav Klimt and Art Deco motifs, mixed together with lyrics from Beyoncé’s song “Love Drought,” which she performed during the event.

Now for the celebrities seen as the ‘worst” on the red carpet. Which included, Katy Perry, who wore a glimmering Tom Ford gown. However, it almost looked like two separate dresses: The top exuded a futuristic vibe while the skirt looked 1920s-inspired. We appreciated the juxtaposition, but the way it bunches up at her waist was also slightly unflattering. Elle King’s pink floral gown was  coupled with 3-D embellishments, a flower crown and curled tresses make this look perfect for a Renaissance fair rather than the Grammys. Electropop singer Halsey who electrified the red carpet in a bold blue two-piece sans shirt inside. We usually love exposed skin, but this look could’ve fared better with a more structured silhouette and better tailoring. The worst of all celebs dressed was Cee Lo Green who showed up in an outfit that drew comparisons to candy, Star Wars droids and everything in between. The music star arrived on the Grammys red carpet in this, well… we’re not sure what to call this. His all-gold ensemble left us all completely speechless. Thankfully, he was not the only one badly dressed on the red carpet that night.

Former Hamilton students who watched the Grammy’s had much to say, “I’ve been waiting for the Grammys to come out for sooo long, it was well worth the wait for sure”, Edward Dickson (11). Madison Smith (10) continued, “I loved seeing the best and worst dressed, I thought it was quite funny”. Lastly Emily Peirce (11) added, “My favorite was seeing Adele winning the Album of the Year Grammy”.