• The homecoming football game is on Sept. 15th at 7:30

• Homecoming Carnival is September 15th from 4:30-6:30 on the varsity practice field before the game.

• Homecoming is September 16th from 8-11 PM! Tickets are $18 from Sept 5-8, $20 from Sept 11-15, and $25 at the door.

Movies That Make You SCREAM

Zach Scheel

Why has the market for horror movies always been so high? Is it the cheesy acting that you love to laugh at? The dark and bloody scenes that come along with it? Or the thrilling adrenaline rush that gets your heart racing when you know danger is close? Obviously, it’s the heart-stopping impact the movies have on its viewers. Some people don’t like those type of feelings, but since horror is becoming one of the most common and popular genres, it is important to look at what exactly makes it so popular.

The obvious reason many people point to the success of horror movies is its low budget. Many movies these days, especially action movies, have an average of costing over 100 million dollars, and as we have seen from the movie lineup this Summer, many movies fall flat on its face, only making a fraction of its cost back. Unlike these movies, horror movies generally have an average sub of a 40 million dollar budget. This is mostly because horror movies generally lack the need of expensive sets, props, locations, and actors that most Summer blockbusters need. While horror movies don’t go and create hundreds of millions of dollars that some action movies do, the low budget makes it a guaranteed success almost every time. “I don’t think the quality of a movie depends on how much money is put into it. Horror movies are cheap and I still love to watch them” claimed Tyler Andrews (10), and many people agree with his idea.

Generally, their success is credited more towards the crowd that goes and sees them. The influx of common action movies releasing every year has less people actually going to the theaters to view them, and instead wait. The genre that has captivated most of our youth today is the type that makes us scared, giving us adrenaline rushes. While action movies may be oversaturated, the horror genre always seems to be pushing out new ways to scare us, and even if it isn’t new, it succeeds in its purpose if it manages to scare you. With the recent release of Annabelle: Creation, and the upcoming release of It, many are excited to go see them in intention of scaring themselves. When asked about horror movies, Karsten Ping (12) stated, “I don’t really go out to see movies anymore because it eventually gets to Netflix, but I enjoy going out to horror movies with my friends just because the feeling you get when you’re around them watching something creepy.” Enjoying yourself being scared is a weird concept, but there’s no doubt to the appeal of those types of movies. As long as we continue to return to the theaters for these movies, they will not be going anywhere anytime soon.