Dia de los Muertos(Day of the Dead)

Adriana Urena

Dia de los Muertos, a celebration and yet a reunion of family members and loved ones who passed on. The reason for celebrating this is simply because the dead is moving on to the afterlife. The ones who celebrate this festival believe that in the meaning of these three days they are entering the gates to be with God, as well as receiving permission to visit their family members back on Earth. The family members reunite with their loved ones once more. On these nights the lands are full of spirits that roam the earth again just to see their loved ones once more.The celebration begins on October 31and ends on November 2. Traditionally November 1st is when they honor the deaths of the passing of children and infants, while November 2nd honors the passing of the adults. They take hours and sometimes days preparing for this grand celebration, they also spend hours with family that comes to celebrate too. Manuel Urena(11), said,“In spanish class last year I learned about this celebration, but I’ve never celebrated it”, many Hamilton high students learned about the day of the dead but haven’t experienced it.

Every year on these three special days, mexico city is filled with festivals, food, and loved ones. The most common foods prepared take almost a whole day maybe two. They cook for their loved ones and communities. They cook Pan de Muertos (Day of the Dead Bread), Calaveras de Azucar (Sugar Skulls), Tamales, Mole Negro, Calabaza en Dulce (Candied Pumpkin), Hot Chocolate, and Fruit. Some families like Jesse Maldonado(10), “pass out candy” on these nights.

Many people celebrate this event and they go all out, they make it inviting for their loved ones for when they arrive, they gather decorations, decorate the cemetery and the tombstones. The decorations placed on the tombstones are also referred to as offerings. Another decoration that is placed on the tombstones are the Pan de Muertos (Day of the Dead Bread), these are for the passed on family members to eat from their long journey home. For the offerings they place the bread, a photo of the passed family member, candles, and cookies. The sugar skulls are a popular decoration as well as a popular treat. The sugar skull is also well known to some Hamilton students, Sandra(12) says, “My mom gave me one before, they are colorful but they are also really sweet.” The aroma of sweets fill in the atmosphere and as well and the calming sensation of spirits roaming the surroundings.  

Aside from the graveyards, the whole city is blasted in lights, flowers, and people dressed as La Calavera Catrina and as esqueletos(skeletons). Every one of these three days they celebrate with festivals that include playing traditional music like “viva calaca”, dancing traditional dances like the Aztec and skeleton dance, and eating the traditional food. This celebration is a massive event that demonstrates the love and honor of missed family members.