Chris Brown’s New Album

Zach Scheel

Chris Brown’s new album, Heartbreak on a Full Moon, shocks his fans with a flood of 45 new songs. He released his album October 31st, the morning of Halloween. Many people will look at the size of his new album and immediately be turned off. People rarely listen to that many songs of the same artist in a row, much less Chris Brown. If Chris Brown is your favorite artist, you may be excited for the amount of content in his new album, but usually larger projects like this seem to be rushed because of the number of songs they had to complete. They end up sounding repetitive, and immediately make people uninterested. But nevertheless, there is a way to the madness, and a strategy Chris Brown is attempting, which can either turn the album into a major success, or risk it as being seen as irrelevant.

The most prestigious chart artists compete to be on is the Billboard 200. In 2014, Billboard started including the streaming of music as album sales. Every 1,500 times 1 song is streamed, it is counted as 1 album sale. Chris Brown is using this statistic to his advantage. By having 45 songs on one album, it makes it much easier to reach a higher number of “album sales”, leading to a higher debut on the Billboard 200. This means more exposure for his new album, leading to even more sales. Chris Brown even had a message for his fans, asking them to create Apple Music or Spotify accounts and leave his album on repeat multiple times per day. With his album being nearly 3 hours long, this is a stretch, leaving many to believe his long album is his attempt to become relevant again.

Many artists now produce quantity over quality due to streaming counting as album sales. To reach high levels on the BIllboard 200, artists will either have a short album around 10 songs long that are perfected, or a long album of 20+ songs that may just be mediocre. Now the success or failure of Chris Brown will depend on whatever is left of his fanbase, and new fans that may be interested in his album. Abdi Ahmed (12) said “I remember I always used to listen to Chris Brown. I’m not really interested in listening to 45 of his songs, but I could see myself liking a couple of them”. On the other hand, Haley Kinser (12) believed that “It’s not worth listening to. I may have liked a couple of his songs in the past, but I don’t even want to give him the time anymore”. While there are many strong opinions on Chris Brown, his strategy playing the Billboard’s system may shoot him into a status of relevance again.