• WELCOME BACK HUSKIES!!

Ways Music Can Soothe the Soul

Dez Wills

Music isn’t something you can touch, but it can touch you. Many people have turned to music for many reasons like they will listen to sad songs after a break up, or some rock and roll when they had a bad day, or just something that can connect to them when they are in any mood. “Does music help you with anything in your life?” Emma Rittenhouse(9th) commented by saying, “Music helps encourage my day, because it keeps me going when times are rough, or if i’m having a bad day.” Another student, Kristin Hofmeister(9th), also agreed by stating, “Music helps me a ton. That’s part of the reason why I listen to it so much. It’s an escape from this screwed up world.”

Studies show listening to music can physiologically ease stress and even reduce depressive symptoms. Researchers in the United Kingdom even claim that certain songs can reduce anxiety up to 65 percent. Simply put, music can be medicine for your mind. Research suggests sad music may actually induce positive emotions. A 2014 study found that when people listen to melancholy songs they experienced more empathy, because they connected to the sadness of the music’s artist but experienced no “Real life implications” of the sad event. “Can the music you choose affect your mood in anyway?” Megan Wadswoth(9th) said, “Yes, depending on the song i can get very emotional when listening to it.” Emma Rittenhouse even added on, “Yes, because some music can make me happy, and some can, make me sad.” This, in turn, can feel cathartic, according to experts. Pumping music may be the key to pumping more iron. Studies suggest that music can boost your workout. It may also help you run faster and better your endurance. Another study in 2008 found that listening to classical music helped ease insomnia symptoms in college students. Other research also suggests music can put you in a meditative state. Also other Studies show background music can boost cognitive performance on tasks like academic tests (but it may depend on whether or not that music boosts your mood). Research also suggests upbeat music can help you do well under pressure. Music is the ultimate prompt for nostalgia.

Experts believe that your brain stays attached to music from your youth, because you listened to it when you were gaining a sense of yourself, your social connections and the world around you. “What is your go to song you listen to on repeat and how can you connect to it?” Kristen Hofmeister said, “My main song is “It Has Begun” by Starset. This is of my favorite because it keeps me going and makes me feel like I can do almost anything.”  Megan Wasdsworth added in, “I relate to “Wolf in Sheep’s Clothing” by Set It Off, because i have issues with fake people.” In a way, music informed your identity.