Fortnite Fever

Zach Scheel

Love it or hate it, you at least know what Fortnite is. Fortnite has taken over as the top craze of the past few months. Fortnite is a free-to-play video game that sees 99 players in one server parachute down onto a huge island with only one goal: be the last one alive. You land with nothing, and your job is to find different weapons lying around, scavenging resources, and taking down your opponents. This genre of game is called “Battle Royale”, which is comparable to The Hunger Games. Many games take on this genre, including PUBG and H1Z1, but Fortnite has reached unbelievable levels of success. Everywhere you go, it seems like people are either talking about Fortnite, or at least know about it.

Fortnite holds similar traits to many other Battle Royale games, but Fortnite possesses a few traits that makes it the best take on the genre. The main difference is the ability to build. Swapping between building and your weapons is so simple, it creates a lot of diversity when fighting, and building for cover. This makes sure the game takes very long to become boring for those playing, allowing the game to retain their vast audience. Yonas Berhane (10) said “I’ve been playing the game with my friends for a while, and it’s so much fun. We always find new ways to approach the game, and it’s always fun to get some dubs [wins].” It’s success may also have to do with the fact that it is free to play, so anyone can access it. You don’t need money to join the addiction.

The “fever” Fortnite has created sometime annoys people who don’t understand it. Mia Strauss (10) said “Fortnite is stupid. Guys are always talking about it and putting it on their Snapchat stories, and literally there’s no point. No one cares.” Majority of people disagree with her point of view. Ameen Ashraf (11) said “To people who don’t understand it, they need to understand it’s just a source of fun. It includes working with your friends as a team, and winning is so satisfying, that’s why some people post it on their stories, so it’s unfair for people to get mad. It is a fun way to talk and hang out with your friends without actually leaving your house, don’t knock it until you try it.”

Fortnite is available on PS4, Xbox One, PC, and Mac, and with it’s free price tag, everyone should at least give it a try!