The New Music of 2018

Cora Baron

So far,  2018 is shaping up to be just as bad and weird as 2017 was, but at least there’ll be good music to go along with it. While some groups prepare to release albums, other artists go on tour. Most recently Arizona has hosted concerts for Lorde, Brockhampton, Tyler the Creator, and other choice performers. The Innings Festival was also a big music festival that many Hamilton Students attended. Taylor Garcia (11) says, “I love music festivals because you get to hear your favorite artists perform while discovering new ones as well.” Pot of Gold and Vans Warped Tour are other music events in Arizona this year.

Hayley Kiyoko released her new album last week. Debuting in Disney’s Lemonade Mouth, she has truly made a name for herself. She is especially popular within the LGBT community for creating queer representation in the music industry. Artic Monkeys, an alternative rock band, are releasing their first album in five years. This has been long awaited for many fans, hoping to see a tour in the foreseeable future. Vivian Nguyen (11) shares, “I can’t wait to hear new tunes and see what they’ve been working on. I loved all the songs in their album, AM.” This is not the only exciting release news this year.

Music for Cars is another talking point in the music community. It is said to mark the end of an era for The 1975. Trixia Dela Rosa (12) reflects, “I really enjoyed the two previous 1975 albums, I’m so excited to hear their new tunes.” Music is such an important part of youth. It helps teens feel understood, and it marks significant events of their adolescence. Whether it’s hip hop, pop, country, or alternative, there’s always something for everyone. Here’s to another great year with greater music.