• WELCOME BACK HUSKIES!!

Haunted House on Heath Way

Chloe Dickinson

Two nights of terror, with a line filling the street, for an annual “homemade” neighborhood haunted house. Frights of all kinds, ranging from killer clowns, to scarecrows that come to life, to disappearing twins, to moving pictures in the walls, to scary dolls and zombie children, this haunted house had it all.

When a majority of people picture a free haunted house in the driveway and garage of someone’s house, they typically imagine a cheesy, little maze with a few scary moments. The Haunted House on Heath Way is not your typical cheesefest of a Halloween scare. Brandon and Kevin Wilson, and Steve and Jill Brown are the masterminds behind the masks. Since 2010, they have put together a haunted house almost every year, that sends a massive crowd of people down the street waiting in a line to have the bejeebers scared out of them. Putting roughly 200 hours of work into the planning, designing and building of this complex contraption this year, the families were very proud of the turnout. Between Friday the 26th and Saturday the 27th, they sent over 1000 people through the twists and turns of the haunted house and each year they choose a local charity to give all of the money received through donations to. This year they raised $1736; 100% of the proceeds are going to the Underdog Rescue of Arizona. Not only is this haunted house a fun idea, but it’s for a good cause.

Bringing kids and adults of all ages into the terrifying haunted house, a few of Hamilton’s students decided to join the freights and wait in line. When asked about her thoughts on the haunted house,  Darian Badger(12) said “it was really scary. I couldn’t stop screaming and I felt scared for my life.” Philip Witter(12) said that he was “flabbergasted at moments” and he was “as paranoid as a teenage girl watching a Mike Meyers movie” as he walked through the haunted house. Gracey Vande Kamp said that she was hesitant at first,  the haunted house “was a lot scarier than she thought it was going to be.” Jonathan Stratman(12) said “when I walked in I instantly realized I was in for a great adventure and that it was truly going to be a frightful experience.” While it may always be a mystery why people love the thrill of being scared, all of these students decided to go through the haunted house again and loved it just as much the second time.

Chloe Tveten(12), who has been a part of this tradition since 2010, said that “the haunted house really does get better and better each year.” She said “it’s really awesome getting to watch everything come to life. We see the haunted house go from the plans, to the tarps and tents, to being decorated and rigged, to being one of the best haunted houses in Chandler.” This haunted house is a thrilling experience for not only everyone walking through it, but for all of the people who have continued to watch it grow and come to life each year.