Nutcracker Movie Review

Katherine Soltero and Alexis Brady

It’s the holiday season! Which calls for Christmas songs, food, decorations, and the best of all holiday movies. On November 2nd “The Nutcracker and the Four Realms” film was released, just in time for Thanksgiving and Christmas. The film is based off of the Russian two-act play that has been performed by ballets since 1892, even though it did not gain popularity till the 1960’s. The movie is about a young girl Clara (Mackenzie Foy), and a soldier named Phillip (Jayden Fowora-Knight) who must retrieve a magical key in order to open a box with a priceless gift.

After being asked about how she felt about the new movie Alex Medina(10) said, “ I’ve never seen the nutcracker play, but after the seeing the movie it made me want to because it was really interesting.” Because of the drama was made by Disney, there are some differences between the play and the movie, including additional characters and scenes. Maci Sarli(10) “ I thought the movie was cute!” she continued, “although it was like a twist on the original, I still thought it was really good.” Although the movie received high praise from some, others had a different take. Nonetheless, the movie grossed an estimated 52.6 millions dollars in theaters so far.

Lexi Ernesto(9) says “I didn’t really like the movie because it was kind of tacky, I would not see it again.” The fantasy family movie got some fantastic reviews by some critics online, but it also got its fair share of harsh criticism. The film scored a 5.6 out of 10 on IMDb and a 34% on the Rotten Tomatoes website. “The Nutcracker and the Four Realms” is still playing at theaters around you and can also be found in stores on Blu-Ray and DVD in February 2019, and can be found on Amazon video and iTunes January 2019.