“Us” Movie Review

“Us” Movie Review

JayJay Quintana

With new Horror movies being announced left and right, “Us” got many people’s attention. The trailer struck people because the story was so different from the movies before it. The director of the hit Horror film of 2017, Jordan Peele’s “Get Out” shocked people with it’s fresh look, and horrifying atmosphere. Now in 2019, he’s done it again. The movie follows a family on vacation, when everything goes downhill when they realise they’re not the only versions of themselves that exist in their world. Since the movie has been out for a while, reviews have been flowing out from news websites and blogs. Today they will be coming from a couple of students from Hamilton High.

Of course when these types of movies come out, it’s normally not the setting or directing that people are excited to see. It’s the acting and plot devices within the story itself. Elaborating on the idea of the most interesting device that was used in the story, Ayden Snow (9) said “My favorite thing about the movie was the writing if i’m being honest. It seemed so alive, and realistic, but at the same time so fictional.” Most times in films, characters are brought to life from their setting or dialogue relationships with the other actors.

When the writing is good enough, the audience soon start to notice it too. An example can be when Horror movies may leave a mark on people in many different ways. Paige Silva (10) said “Oh my god, this movie gave me nightmares! I can’t stop thinking about what happened!” Everyone is going to have different reactions to these kinds of things, but obviously these type of ones are the most entertaining.

All in all, the feedback from this movie has been both positive, and riveting at the same time. Although from the outside looking in, the comments look mostly positive. But there will always be a few wishes and longings for something to have happened differently. Following that idea of wishing for something different, Lauren Leon (10) said, “I just wish some of the characters that were not considered main, got a little more screen time.” While that would have been nice, directors make these sacrifices to get an amazing movie out into the theaters.