Journalism Field Trip

Marlene Alvarado

Hamilton’s journalism class took a trip to Red Mountain High School on Friday for the Jostens Renaissance “Find Your Grind” tour alongside Yearbook, Stugo, and Link Crew. This field trip was different from others as schools from Arizona gathered on this day to hear Mike Smith speak about what it takes to create an awesome climate and culture in schools. During the time of the event students and educators learned the 5R’s. Respect + Recognize + Reward + Reinforce = Results.

The event started with Red Mountain welcoming students and educators to the center of the gym to have a dance party. The music was played by the outstanding Cayleen Green. Soon, a video was shown of Mike Smith speaking regarding the tour and what people will be learning that day. When the video was over, he challenged each school to send their best dancers to the gym floor, after which the winner received free merchandise from sponsors. Following the dance battle, Dr. Phil Campbell spoke about his story on how he changed a young man’s life and his school. Mike Smith spoke about how he got to where he is today and inspired the students to make a change in their community.

As the event was coming to an end, students were asked what they can do to better themselves, what their excuses were, and what they will be taking back to their schools. A young girl received a $2,500 scholarship from Smith and his team, as for the teacher that nominated her also received $2,500 for her classroom. Jostens Renaissance “Find Your Grind” Tour will continue up until the end of April.