• WELCOME BACK HUSKIES!!

Student Parking Overflows

Carly Osorio

At the beginning of the year, when husky day rolls around, everyone frantically searches to make sure they have their parking space. There are hundreds of parking spots but believe it or not, they have now ran out for the 2017-2018 school year. If you were planning on parking art Hamilton later on in the year, it’s time to see what the backup plan is! This is a struggle to many students, especially sophomores and juniors who many of them will be getting a car sometime in the next few months. One student, Alex Salinas (12) said “I have a few friends who were planning on getting a parking space when they get a car this year. I’m surprised they ran out, the parking lot is huge.” Although there are many spaces, there are more kids at this school than one might have thought.

Several students have claimed they park in the target parking lot across the street from school. It may sound like a good (cheaper) idea, however a couple students have actually had their cars towed for parking there. Shanti Shenoy (12), says that “you have to be careful. It’s definitely cheaper to get a parking space at the beginning of the year for $80 instead of paying a towing fee.” She’s absolutely right! Another student (anonymous) commented, “I park at target, however I’m always scared someone will take my car. It’s a lot safer at Hamilton for sure.” Target is one alternative, however there are many other ways to go about your parking experience.

Here are some ideas for parking/parking tickets for both this year and next year:

1. Come to husky day before the next school year starts! It is the perfect opportunity to get a parking ticket right away before it gets super crowded. Also, you get first choice on the space you want.
  2. Discuss the payment with your parents before hand, make sure they know it’s quite crucial if you will be driving to Hamilton in your own car. You’ll save gas, energy, and time.
  3. Car pool! It’s great for the environment and you’ll save money if you split the price.
  4. If all else fails, see if you have a friend who lives in a neighborhood close to Hamilton. You can always park in front of their house and walk the rest of the way!