The Demanding Life Of An AP Student

The Demanding Life Of An AP Student

Alexis Brady

The school year is only just beginning but already AP classes are wasting no time piling on the homework, assignments, and projects. It is no secret that you have to be very committed and disciplined when when you sign up for an AP classes. However, if you are signing up for AP classes it is likely that you have been preparing for the workload by taking honors classes in the years leading up. Although honors and AP are both higher level classes, they are not one in the same. Steven Hamming (11) says that “AP is definitely a lot more work than honors. People usually assume that it’s basically the same thing, but it’s not, its a lot harder.” AP classes require a lot more time for doing homework and studying. The tests are also more intense and challenging, and they require more critical thinking.

With the strenuous workload, these challenging classes are bound to have an impact on students, especially if they are taking more than one or two. In some extreme cases, it affects the health and well-being of students. Priyanshi Chudasama (11), who is taking six AP classes this year along with one honors class says “My stress levels are really high right now. My heart is rapidly beating all the time because I have to somehow manage all these classes and still do the extra curricular activities that colleges want to see. It has negatively impacted my health; I get no sleep, and I get sick more often now.” In cases like these, it is important to have renowned time management skills and a lot of  self -discipline to be able to pull off a feat like that. Not every AP student has that heavy of a workload, but that doesn’t mean they still don’t have a lot to do, even if they are only taking a couple AP’s. Sydney Case says “I get about 6 hours of sleep each night. I spend all my evenings doing homework that directly comes from my AP classes.” One can easily spend over four hours a night doing homework, studying, or just catching up on work they didn’t finish in class.

These demanding classes are designed to challenge you and prepare you for the kind of courses students will take in college. Although it is no easy feat, taking a lot of AP classes can be very rewarding. If you score high enough on the AP test at the end of the year, then you can earn college credit. This is the main reason that students of all ages in high school are taking so many AP’s. In addition, there are a lot of other reasons that someone might want to take an AP class. Sydney Case (11) says “I took AP classes because it looks good for colleges and I am very motivated to get a scholarship.” Whether it’d be for college credit, improving your skills, or getting a scholarship, AP classes prove to be a advantageous option.

There is no doubt that AP classes can be exhausting and at times feel impossible, but it is vital to stay focused, manage your time, and stay positive!