New Criminal Justice Class

New Criminal Justice Class

Each year, new clubs are added in efforts to further engage the students in activities supporting their interests and passions. While classes such as Speech and Debate and We The People expose students to social phenomena and political discussions outside the educational environment, the Criminal Justice Course being introduced soon is planning on tackling the intricacies embedded in the law and student’s lives beyond high school.

A Criminal Justice course promotes knowledge of and respect for the law and will help transform students into civically responsible citizens who may become leaders in their community. Criminal Justice students will develop an understanding of ethics, morals and legal services while being exposed to experiences that explore equality, justice, discipline, awareness, community involvement, civic duties and responsibilities. The coursework will prepare students for college entry or an entry level position in the criminal justice field including: law enforcement, judicial system, counseling, correctional officers, morticians, and crime scene investigators. Mr. Shough, the 11th grade US History teacher, instituted the idea of introducing this class as of next year, as “he hopes to show students interested in criminal law or justice whatever they should know and learn before entering a career that deals with it.” Officer Deuker enthusiastically addressed this idea stating, “A criminal law or justice class would be ideal for high school students because all students are held to the law and should be taught the consequences of their actions, while being constructively advised in an academic setting.” Several students were intrigued by this class as well, some of whom had been requesting such a class since their freshman year. Manvi Harde(10) was thrilled by the addition, exclaiming “Whenever I would sign up for classes, I tried finding something that would teach me more about law since I want to go into law, and this class seems perfect for that.” Overall, both students and teachers are excited to hear about the new class!

Mr. Shough, as well as other faculty members, strive to provide students with the experience, skills and knowledge necessary to pursue a career and/or further education in the field of criminal justice in the following years!