Cooking Up a Fun Time

Cooking Up a Fun Time

Chloe Dickinson

If high school teaches us anything, at least let it teach us how to cook a good meal. This is very easy to do if there are kitchens inside the school for students to learn in. If it’s available for us, we might as well take advantage of the amazing opportunity to learn some skills that we will need to know and use every day of our lives.

CTE or Career and Technical Education classes are hands on classes that are available for high school students to take part in. One of these courses is Culinary Arts. In the Culinary 1 class, students are taught the theory and practice of basic fundamentals of cooking. There is a huge emphasis on safety, sanitation, terminology, measurements, nutrition, knife skills and basic cuts. Each year, the class becomes more specific towards certain methods and students are given the opportunity to learn about hospitality and working in a restaurant. There are three levels of Culinary at Hamilton and each one comes with its own perks and benefits.

Olivia O’Connell(10) says that being in culinary has “helped round [her] skills that [she] already had in cooking.” She thinks that everyone should take culinary because it “really helps kids that dont know how to cook learn how and helps them learn how to live on their own.” This class is not just a basic cooking class. It incorporates the teaching of important life skills into its daily curriculum to help students not only feel comfortable in the kitchen but feel comfortable moving into life after high school.

Jessa Villanuevn(10) loves the fact that “we get to eat all of the food that we cook ourselves every day.” She likes the fact that the class is extremely helpful and informative but its still really fun.

Being in a Culinary class during the school day can have so many benefits. Students gets to be learning about skills that will actually help them after high school and they get to have fun cooking and eating food every day.