What’s Inside the Can: Energy Drinks

What’s Inside the Can: Energy Drinks

Melanie Porter, Photo Editor

Energy is something most people crave. From the student who has never ending amounts of homework, to the parents that stay up all night with young kids, energy drinks are sometimes used as a substitute for sleep.

Cameron Bates (10), says, “The number of Monster’s I drink depends on how much homework I get. They can keep me up all night so if I have a lot of homework, I drink an energy drink.”

Other students, like Cross Gutierrez (10) say, “I drink about seven energy drinks in a week, I like all of the Monster drinks, they can keep me up all night.”

However, energy drinks don’t get approved by the Food and Drug Administration, and therefore don’t have to print nutritional labels that give information about what is in the drink. Experts say that it is safe for an adult to consume up to 400 milligrams of caffeine a day, and a normal sized energy drink can have about 350 milligrams of caffeine in it.

Many students, such as Marcus Uzeta (10), say, “I like energy drinks because they taste good.” Maybe part of the reason the drinks taste so good is because there is nearly twenty-nine grams of sugar in each can, nearly as much sugar is in a Snicker’s candy bar.

Although energy drinks can supply the much needed energy that many students need in order to keep up with the endless amounts of homework and tests, Energy Drinks can also cause many organs to clog with sugar. Make sure to drink energy drinks with caution and know what you’re drinking before you drink it.