Confederate Statues To Be Removed

Breanna Zarate

In light of the removal of the Robert E. Lee statue in Virginia that led to the Charlottesville clash between white supremacists and civilians, many other states are thinking about removing confederate statues that still remain. Almost 150 years after the civil war, more than 1500 symbols for the confederacy are still in place around America today. Many see the tribute to confederate leaders as a huge offense, believing that these statues glorify those who fought to keep slavery intact. While others see these statues to be a token of “southern pride” and consider these statues an important part of history. 7 states have decided to remove some of the confederate statues that still remain. Virginia, New York, California, North Carolina, Florida, Maryland  and Kentucky have all decided to take down statues. In North Carolina, protesters forcefully removed a statue of a soldier with a gun that said “in memory of the boys who wore grey” on Monday.

The events in Charlottesville have only added fuel to the fire, leading to protests being held around the nation to tear down all confederate symbols. Donald Trump tweeted out early morning of August 17th stating: “Sad to see the history and culture of our great country being ripped apart with the removal of our beautiful statues and monuments, You can’t change history, but you can learn from it. Robert E Lee, Stonewall Jackson – who’s next, Washington, Jefferson? So foolish! Also the beauty that is being taken out of our cities, towns and parks will be greatly missed and never able to be comparably replaced!” Still, other states are pending the removal of statues on their ground.

Through all this debate, Arizona has not been one of the states that is considering removing any statues. Gov. Doug Ducey told CNN that he will not remove any Confederate monuments or memorials and will instead leave that decision up to the public.

“It’s not my desire or mission to tear down any monuments or memorials. We have a public process for this. If the public wants to be engaged on this, I’d invite them to get engaged in it,” Ducey said.

Some here at Hamilton believe that the statue in Arizona should be removed. Tyra Hawthorne (11) said, “I think it should be taken down,” and Tyler Allison (11) agrees, saying, “It shouldn’t be up.”Whereas Charlotte Yang (11) believes that “America is all about freedom. [We] should be able to support whatever we want,” in regards to having confederate monuments up.