The Women’s March on Washington sparks unity and controversy

Kelsey Johnson, Marketing Editor

On January 21st, just one day after Donald Trump’s inauguration, a worldwide march was held for women’s rights. This was the largest demonstration in American history with 3.3 million people marching. Washington D.C. captured the largest group of marchers with more than 500,000 people.

The march’s primary message was women’s rights but it was also about human rights, LGBT rights, and immigration reform, important issues in 2017.Though the march was supposed to be bipartisan; however it held some political undertones. The left seemed to dominate the movement and spread pro-choice ideals. The right was offended by the timing of the march, being that it was just a day after the inauguration of Donald Trump. This timing was not accidental, the movement was partially aimed at Trump, who has made offensive remarks about women.

Hamilton student, Brigham Anderson (12) was offended by the timing of the march and felt it was negatively directed at Trump. He said, “I think that people are making too big of a deal of Trump.  In four years, they can elect someone else.”

Despite the controversy, the women’s march created a feeling of unity between people in America who are fighting for their rights. Organizers of the event created “10 Actions for the first 100 Days” which details ways in which women and the country can come together in activism.

Supporters of the march also weighed in. Jayla Ware (10) said, “It was inspirational. Women and men are viewed differently, but women can do the same things as men. I do not like seeing men on a hierarchy. “

Sam Kamath (11) shared a similar view stating, “I support the Women’s March on Washington because women’s rights will always be an important issue that we must focus on.”