Opioid Epidemic

Sonam Jain

With the increasing availability to both prescription and non-prescription drugs in America and Canada, there has been a rise to various epidemics, one of which is the Opioid Epidemic. The Opioid Epidemic is the rapid increase in the use of painkillers such as oxycodone or fentanyl. Despite their high risk of addiction and potential overdose, they are popularly advertised for the purpose of recreational and medical usages.

Because of the drugs increasing popularity amongst individuals, the risk of death is becoming more eminent over the years. It is predicted that in the next 10 years, the number of deaths resulting from opioid consumption will have tripled. Somil Jain(12) believes that “there is no efficient way to stop this epidemic from occurring other than terminating the sale of the drug entirely.” However, if pharmacies stopped carrying the drug, many individuals would greatly suffer. The bodies of many individuals have adapted to the drug so stopping it right away would only negatively impact the body more. Additionally, the growing popularity of the drug has impacted society culturally and morally, as many believe it’s humanizing the harmful drugs. Esha Patel(11) thinks that “drugs as severe as these painkillers are clearly affecting lives for the worse, and in the long run it is possible that they will affect our population.”

All in all, the Opioid Epidemic is a crucial outbreak that needs to be addressed, or the lives of the individuals in our nation are at risk. In essence, putting a stop to the abuse of this harmful drug will benefit not only the people, but the prosperity of the nation as a whole.