• HAVE A GREAT BREAK HUSKIES!

• FALL BREAK STARTS NEXT WEEK (OCTOBER 17TH FIRST DAY BACK)

The Undefeated ASU Basketball Team

Zach Scheel

The ASU basketball team has officially gotten their highest ranking since 1981. The Sun Devils lead their division, the Pac-12, with a record of 11-0. The eleven win streak is the first time ASU’s basketball program has gone this far undefeated. While ASU has not played any conference games yet, they have not gone without competition. They won against #15 Xavier, destroying them 102-86. At the time, ASU was unranked, but after this match they jumped to #20 in the rankings. ASU hovered around this rank until they played Kansas. #2 Kansas is known for their dominating basketball team, and when they were matched up against ASU, they had home court advantage and were favored by 90%. ASU surprised Kansas with an aggressive 2nd half, ending the game 95-85, having a 10 point lead. This win rocketed ASU to the #5 spot, leading the Pac-12 and most of the nation’s teams.

Yonas Berhane (10) says, “Usually I don’t really follow ASU basketball, but I overall like ASU, and seeing how well they’re doing, I’m interested to see where they go in the future”. Hayden Baker (12), a U of A fan, believes “ASU is doing good this year, but U of A will put them back into place!” But Luciano Contreras (12) says, “I’m interested to see if they can keep up their streak and hopefully beat U of A in a couple of weeks! And if ASU actually makes March Madness this season, I think many more ASU fans will start going to basketball games.” ASU and U of A play December 30th, and it will have divided college basketball fans in Arizona on the edges of their seats.

Although they haven’t played any high-ranking teams since their win over Kansas, ASU’s ability to be consistent and win by high scores has now made them the #3 ranked team in the country. ASU has not been known to be one of the better basketball teams over the past many years, but they have just been a sleeping giant, and this may be the year they go far in the post-season.