Creativity Takes the Win

Chloe Dickinson

Having a creative mind is an important part of being successful in high school. Whether it’s through dance, music, writing, or one of the many forms of art, creativity is valuable. At the State Fair this year, three of Hamilton’s own have proven they are some of the best at what they create. Karsen Burke took 1st place in Ceramics, Jacob Heinkel won 1st place in Diorama, and Isabela Hernandez won 2nd place in Sculpture.

Karsen Burke(12) has always loved abstract design and modern art and he decided to choose a piece where he could “turn a 2D shape into a 3D shape using repetition.” When he found out that he had won first place for his artwork he said that the experience “was kind of surreal.” Knowing that it was a State Championship, he thinks that “it’s really cool to know that he was the best in the state in that category.” While he doesn’t want to major in art or ceramics, Karsen said he wants to continue expressing his creativity and at least take a class in college. He wants to major in Architecture and Design so he can incorporate his art into his college experience.  

When Jacob Heinkel(12) found out that he had won first place, he said he was very proud of himself because “even though you shouldn’t place your self worth through other people’s opinions, it was really solidifying of the fact that I worked hard and did well with my art piece.” He decided to create a “small diorama of a room.” Using his love of architecture and interior design, Jacob wanted to “bring it to life through a different medium like ceramics, that you don’t usually see things like that through.” His life-long love of art has only grown since he became involved in high school art programs and he wants to continue expressing himself through drawing, painting, and ceramics as he sets up his future and goes into art school.

Beginning her love of art  in her Sophomore year of high school, Isabela Hernandez(12) was shocked when she found out that she had won 2nd place in Sculpture. She said that her inspiration for her piece came from a love of butterflies and she wanted to show her love through her artwork in ceramics. She has a newfound love for her art and after high school “wants to continue with ceramics and just art in general because it really makes me happy.”

These talented students have blown us away with their incredible masterpieces and have been rewarded for their hard work and dedication to the art that they love so much.