Hamilton Cheer: Competition season begins

Adison Johnson

Hamilton Varsity cheer is gearing up for their next exciting competition season. Led by head coach Easton Orinso and Bri Lambert, there are high expectations for the varsity team due to the many victories last season. And believe me, the team is ready to show what they are made of!

This Saturday is a national qualifier for the team. It is the first of many competitions for the team. At the qualifier on Saturday, the teams have to have a score above 70% to qualify for the big competition in February. The girls travel to California and spend two days proving their strength.

Captain Courtney Lassiter (12) has been apart of the program for all four years of high school. She is helping the team keep their head in the game by “As a captain, I’ve really been trying to remind the girls that it all comes down to focus. We have to take everything one step at a time and not only trust ourselves but each other.” The prep for the competitions can be very hard on not only the mind, but your bodies as well. Jayla Wright (10) mentions how fun competitions can really be. “My favorite part about comp. Season is cheering everyone on during the routine!”

Coach Easton Orinso has been coaching cheer for many years and has been with the Hamilton cheer program for two years. Her goals for the team this year are “not only develop the girls as stronger athletes but as stronger individuals and obviously to win nationals.”

Once those Friday night lights come to a close, it’s time to work for this unbelievably talented team. “We have all worked so hard, pushed our hardest every practice and really come together as a team.” (Courtney Lassiter) The mentality of the girls are different from many others. They are able to switch off everyday struggles and hardships to be there for one another.

When you see them perform this Saturday you will know how much blood, sweat and tears have gone into that two minute and thirty second routine. Come out and support your Husky Cheerleaders! Go Huskies!