AP Test Prep

AP Test Prep

Chloe Dickinson

We’re headed into the time of year for long study sessions, practice tests, and too much stress in preparation for the dreaded AP exams. By taking Advanced Placement or AP classes, students are given the chance to earn college credit before graduating high school. This is a really great thing for many students because it provides them with a higher level class that challenges them in different ways, and gives them the opportunity to get a head start on college credits. However, for the students who opt out of Dual Enrollment, which is the case for most, these benefits mean having to take AP exams.

For most students, especially those who are taking their first AP test, this time of the year can be very stressful. There is a massive amount of material to remember and for many students, more than one class to study for. Alyssa Bleyle(12), has taken 6 AP tests throughout her high school years and in order to prepare she typically does “many review sessions, going to Starbucks with friends, or coming back to school for review sessions.” She says “I don’t do a lot of studying on my own, most of it is with groups of people.” It can be difficult to have the motivation to really study when you’re on your own. Putting together a group of people that all have to study for the same test can be extremely beneficial because everyone will be contributing what they know and helping each other feel prepared.

The most important thing to remember is to be confident in yourself and don’t be too overly stressed out. Bri Dutton(12) says, “don’t freak out when you get in there because a lot of the tests are going to be just like what you practiced in class so it’s not as scary as you think it will be.” As intimidating as being put into a silent room filled with test-takers can be, hard work, careful studying, and practice really do pay off. Good luck to any AP Test takers and don’t forget to breathe!