MLB Playoff Races Heating Up

CHICAGO, IL - JULY 27: Members of the Chicago Cubs wait to welcome Kris Bryant #17 after he hit a game-winning, two-run home run in the bottom of the 9th inning against the Colorado Rockies at Wrigley Field on July 27, 2015 in Chicago, Illinois. The Cubs defeated the Rockies 9-8. (Photo by Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images)

Getty Images

Getty Images

Kyle Coffee, General Staff

As October comes closer, so does the Major League Baseball’s playoffs. There are many tough races in different divisions with many good teams fighting for the 2 wild card spots in each league. These groups of players are trying their best to make the playoffs so they can have a chance to win the World Series.

Being one of the more exciting divisions in baseball, the AL East have 2 exciting squads battling for the division. The Toronto Blue Jays and the New York Yankees are both big teams filled with talent. Although the Toronto Blue Jays have a 3.5 game lead against the Yankees, this division lead has been back and forth between these two competitive rivals.

Staying in the American League, the AL central’s division leader belongs to the Kansas City Royals. The runner up to last years World Series have got the playoffs on their mind as they are the second best team in baseball. With a 10 game lead over the Minnesota Twins, the Royals have seem to run away with the division and are already preparing for the playoffs.

One of the more tight races is in the AL west. The Texas Rangers have a 1 game lead ahead of the The Houston Astros in what may come down to one of the last games of the season. Even the Angels are also coming up the rear with only 4.5 games behind. That number could be change the farther we go into September. So who knows what will happen in this division come October.

When asked who would come out in the close division, Easton Erwin (9) said, “I’m a really big Angels fan, so I think the Angels will make a run for the lead.”

Now jumping to the National League where we will start in the east. The Mets have been a powerhouse the past month. Their game lead over the Washington Nationals is growing more and more. It seems the Nats are going to lose the division and not make the playoffs at this rate.

Tyler Quinn (12) commented, “Bryce Harper is good but the Mets are for real. They have an amazing pitching staff that led them to the top of the division.”

Next we go to the central which is arguably the best division in baseball. With 3 of their teams being in the top 4 in baseball. With the St. Louis Cardinals, who is the best in baseball on top of the division. The Pittsburgh Pirates and Chicago Cubs are closely behind too. If St. Louis stays on top the Pirates and the Cubs have just about locked up the 1st and 2nd wild card spot for the NL.

Kiala Santacruz (10) said, “I think the Cubs will win it. They have good teamwork and they are a more organized team. They just seem to know what to do.”

Going to the west we have the Los Angeles Dodgers in front. The only team who could threaten them is the reigning World Series champions, the San Francisco Giants who are 7.5 games behind. It seems the Dodgers will cruise into the playoffs with almost clinching the division.

This postseason will be very exciting with these high caliber teams doing whatever they can to get a shot at the World Series this year. Now it is time to sit back and watch these teams go at it as the MLB playoffs near.