College Football Playoffs: Who’s In?

Kyle Coffee, General Staff

As the college football playoffs near, the anticipation for who will participate grows more and more. There are many contenders for the playoffs this season. Many of those teams have never even felt what being on top looks like and other teams who are used to the spotlight.

One of the teams who have been on top the entire season, Ohio State, look to be out of the top 4 after a loss to Michigan State on a last second field goal, the then ranked No. 3 team may lose its top spot and have to fight to get back in the championship hunt. Although they may not be looking good, the Buckeyes are used to fighting to get what is theirs. Last year they barely made into the top 4, beating out teams like Baylor and TCU. So whether it will happen again is in the fate of Ohio State’s hands.

When Isaiah Tapia (10) was asked about Ohio State’s chances of making it in the top four he said, “It will be tough; losing to a team ranked lower will hurt their chances of making it in.”

Another story to track is the Big 12’s involvement in the playoffs. Last year, no Big 12 teams successfully got a top ranking–that may stay the same this year. The Big 12’s team who is currently most likely to make it in is Oklahoma who are 10-1. This team had dominating wins against Baylor and TCU, but their game against state rival Oklahoma State may decide what will happen.

Jared Byrd (11) was asked about the Big 12 and the playoffs he commented, “No, because they don’t have the potential against SEC teams like Alabama. They just can’t match up to them because they are so good.”

Every college football team puts their bodies on the line for that one big prize; the College Football Championship. Teams will do whatever they can to get a chance to prove they are the best. Whoever it is is still up for grabs, but whoever it will be will have to scratch and claw to show they are the most powerful team in the nation.

Sarah Barnett (12) thinks that the National Champion will be, “Notre Dame, even though they have some bad injuries, they can still dominate on offense and defense.”