• WELCOME BACK HUSKIES!!

Lakers Win their First Game in the Lebron Era

Adam Worthy

The Lakers are finally relevant again! Since Magic Johnson has took over as GM, he has transformed the Lakers into something fans have been waiting for. This free agency period was one of the craziest we’ve seen in a while. Lebron had just came off one of the best seasons in his career by going to his 8th straight NBA finals, but lost to an overpowered team in the Warriors and he had no help. He made a decision to join the Lakers which caught everyone by surprise. Nate Pollard (11) said “ Lebron is my favorite player and he has been in the Eastern conference his whole career him joining LA is a good change in scenery and he should be fine”. The Lakers have a solid young core and are 1-2 pieces away from competing for a NBA championship. In the 2017 NBA draft the Lakers hit a home run by selecting Lonzo Ball with the #2 pick, Kyle Kuzma with the #27 pick, and Josh Hart in the second round.

Something all these young players have in common is winning and team ball. The Lakers felt like they needed a leader and they feel Lonzo Ball is that guy. Lonzo isn’t necessarily a stat sheet stuffer but he impacts the game in ways people don’t recognize, by his defense and assist. Kyle Kuzma brings toughness and is an excellent scorer and will only improve. Josh Hart also brings toughness has the potential to be a lock-down defender, and finishes at the rim excellent. The pieces the Lakers acquired in free agency to play along Lebron drew a lot of head scratchers from people but they have silenced the critics.

The Lakers first game came against the Portland Trailblazers, who are undeniably good at home and the test wasn’t going to come easy. Lebron scored 26 points had, 12 rebounds and dished out 6 assists. Overall it was a solid night for the king but for Portland having played alongside each other for many years now and the new look Lakers trying to gain chemistry the Lakers lost that one. The next game featured the Rockets, who won a franchise high 65 games last year and have the reigning MVP in James Harden. The Lakers were still trying to find themselves and lost again starting off the season 0-2. They then played the San Antonio Spurs and that was one of the craziest games ever. Lebron hit a game tying 3, with 3 seconds left that sent them into overtime. In overtime the Lakers stepped up when they needed to and were up 6 with 55 seconds left. Until the craziest thing occurred, Lebron missed 2 free throws. The Spurs hit a game winner off that and the Lakers fell to 0-3.The game against the Suns marked the start of the Lakers success. Lance Stephenson who the Lakers acquired put up a phenomenal 23 points of the bench which lead them their first win of the season! AJ Corbett (12) said “ Lance Stephenson and Javale McGee were great pickups by LA and if they are able to bring in Kawhi, KD, or Anthony Davis they will win a title”. This season is all a process and Lebron knows what he got himself into. Tevon Tan (11) said “Lebron has made my Lakers relevant again and it’s good for the NBA when the Lakers are back. Now we obviously know that the Lakers aren’t going to the finals this year due to the roster they have but since they have enough money for a superstar next year the question becomes who will join Lebron in 2019?