D-Backs Trade Paul Goldschmidt

D-Backs Trade Paul Goldschmidt

Kyle Coffee

The Arizona Diamondbacks made a big swing by trading All Star first baseman Paul Goldschmidt to the St. Louis Cardinals. In return, they received pitcher Luke Weaver, catcher Carson Kelly and infielder Andy Young who are all best young players with plenty of years of control left. Considering Goldschmidt is going to be a free agent next year and the D-Backs won’t be able to afford to keep him, moving on from him seemed like a logical conclusion.

While this may be a smart move when looking at the long term, a trade like this can anger many of the loyal fans in Arizona. They were very close to the playoffs last year, even leading the division with weeks to spare, so bowing out now can be confusing. This is especially the case when dealing with a player as talented as Goldschmidt on a contract that isn’t detrimental to further free agent signings. D-Backs fan, Daniel Hernandez (12), is especially affected when it comes to this trade, saying, “I was so pissed when I saw we traded Goldy. He was my favorite player on a team that was actually good. I’m just mad that I can’t watch him on my favorite team next year when we suck.” Obviously, passionate fans are pretty emotional about this whole ordeal, which is understandable considering his stature within the organization compared to other players throughout the team’s existence.

Looking at the players coming back from St Louis, it’s clear to see the D-Backs are betting on them to be of value now. Both Weaver and Kelly played in the major leagues last year and were rated pretty high as prospects. Young is a 24 year old who should be seeing time on the D-Backs next year as well. Given that the D-Backs are reportedly hesitant to trade other major league, they may not be completely giving up on the 2019 season.

Alyssa Bleyle (12) is relieved to see the type of players coming back saying, “I’m happy that we have players who can help now and later. I’m sad to see Goldy go, but this seems like a reasonable package in return.”

Although the D-Backs have traded franchise legend, Paul Goldschmidt, they don’t seem completely out of the fold when it comes to contending next year.