Boys Soccer Playoffs

Kyle Coffee, Sports Editor

The Hamilton Boys Soccer team has been dominating this season so far in search of a national championship. With a 20-4 record and 2-0 record within their division, the Huskies are the class of the state and showed that every single time they walked on the field this season.

Entering the playoffs, Hamilton was a three seed, so the odds were stacked in their favor when it came to favorable matchups. They started off their postseason run with a convincing 3-1 win over 14 seed Tolleson High School. In the second round, they went up against a fierce challenger in Perry High school. Even though the Pumas were not as highly ranked, the Huskies were ready for a competitive matchup that would come down to the wire. That ended up being the case as the game came down to an overtime goal from Thatcher Cooper (12) to avoid the upset and advance to the semifinals.

With just one game left to go before a shot at the state championship, Hamilton was focused on advancing, no matter who was in their away. Unfortunately for them, that competition came in the form of two seed Desert Vista who was dominating every opponent they had faced. In what was a grueling matchup with high tension, Hamilton was able to defeat Desert Vista, 2-1, giving them a chance to win the state title in the finals against Brophy College Prep.

The State Championship game took place on February 21st at Campo Verde High school where the Huskies faced the Broncos in freezing temperatures and pouring rain. It seemed that the Huskies were overmatched as an extremely talented Brophy came in and shut out Hamilton, winning the state title. Even though this team came up just short, this season had plenty of success and glory to be remembered for quite some time.