Baseball Wins State!

Baseball Wins State!

Justin Rombough, Sports Editor

Before this season Kevin Askeland from Maxpreps wrote an article on the “Top 25 high school baseball dynasties since 2009” he ranked Hamilton as the number one team. A big part of this being the fact that the Huskies had won three state championships since 2014 (2014, 2016, 2017). Also, Hamilton had the best accumulative ranking since 2009 with a total of ranking of 635, with the second ranked team being Orange Lutheran with a overall ranking of 811. WIth all of this success the Huskies racked up yet another state championship this year as on May 14 they defeated Corona Del Sol 8-1.

The 2018-19 Hamilton Baseball team had an amazing regular season and continued that success in the postseason. Earlier in the season from March 2 through March 15, the Huskies pulled off eight straight victories. Of these eight wins, the Huskies had monstrous performances against Pinnacle (15-5), Basis (10-4), and Mountain Vista (12-1). After a 3-0 shut out, eight strikeout performance Shane Murphy (12) had this to say in an Azcentral interview stating “All three of my pitches were going pretty well, I was able to mix it up.” The Huskies finished the regular season with a 21-6 record and did very well in Conference Play with a 6-2 record and a first place finish in the Conference Standings. After a two-game sweep of Basha High, J.D Mclaughlin (12) ,who hadn’t homered yet before that game hit a two-run homer, stated in an interview by Azcentral exclaiming “That took a lot of weight off my shoulders.” Hamilton scored the most runs (80) in the Conference, which was 28 more than the next team, Chandler with 52. The Hamilton Boys also had amazing pitching and defense with only 26 runs given up, again first in the Conference, the team in second having given up 51 runs. The Huskies Head Coach Mike Woods said this about how the team was playing and what he expected coming into the postseason, stating “They’ve played good this season. They have had good chemistry and I look forward to seeing them build on that chemistry. I expect us to win another State Championship.” As you can see the team fulfilled Woods’ expectations by winning it yet again.

This Huskies team was solid throughout the regular season and they steamed through the playoffs with a 8-2 victory over Queen Creek, a 1-0 victory over Liberty, a 3-2 victory over Mountain Ridge, and a state championship win against Corona Del Sol 8-1. The state championship was expected to start at 7pm but didn’t take place until 10:40pm thus finishing at 12:40am. In the game the Huskies got off to an amazing start, scoring six runs the in first inning! They then kept the lead throughout the rest of the game and finished the Aztecs off thanks to Freshman Pitcher Logan Saloman shutting down Corona hitters throughout the night.

Thanks to all the fans for all the support given to our Huskies! Stay tuned for next season as the Huskies attempt to defend their crown and try to make it four titles in five years!